A Helpful Guide To Rat Control For Baton Rouge Property Owners
December 15, 2020
Did you know that rats are some of the most commonly found pests in Baton Rouge properties? The fact that they are such a frequent problem is definitely a cause for concern as rats are also some of the most unsanitary pests in the area.
The reason why rats are so often found in human dwellings is that they have adapted and developed over centuries to have a dependent relationship with people. We provide easy access to food, water, and shelter, so most rat populations depend on humans to survive.
What Do Rats Look Like?
Because rats are often mistaken for mice, a brief overview of how to identify rats is useful. In Baton Rouge, there are two species of rats that are most likely to be a problem: the roof rat and the Norway rat.
Roof rats are known for climbing and getting onto the upper levels of buildings. They are dark brown to black in color and get to be about eight inches long.
Norway rats, on the other hand, are brown-grey in color and about ten inches long. They aren’t very good climbers and usually live at ground level.
Both of these species can be told apart from mice by their thicker, scaly tails and their blunter noses in comparison to a mouse's triangular face and thin tail.
Why Rats Are So Dangerous
Even if you don’t find rats disgusting or scary, they still aren’t pests you want to have around your property. They are known for causing a long list of problems including:
- Property damage that is caused by their constant need to gnaw. They can damage anything from wood to plumbing to electrical wires.
- Spreading diseases, including many serious ones like hantavirus and salmonella.
- Carrying parasites including fleas which can lead to the spread of illnesses like the plague.
- Causing allergic reactions and asthma attacks as they leave behind fur, urine, and feces
- In some cases, they can even cause respiratory problems as their droppings accumulate.
Because of all of these factors, rats are considered one of the worst types of pests to have in your Baton Rouge property. It is important to take steps to prevent them.
Simple Rat-Prevention Tips And Tricks
Since rats are so prevalent, all property owners should take basic measures to keep them away. However, it’s not always possible to completely prevent rats as they are able to slip through holes and cracks that are as small as a quarter, and they can also chew through many materials to find a way inside. However, here are some things you can do to try to keep rats out of your home:
- Fix broken screens in doors and windows.
- Make your property less attractive to rats by taking out the trash often and covering outdoor trash cans with lids.
- Seal up cracks or holes in exterior walls and the building’s foundation.
- Keep the kitchen clean by wiping up food and drink spills and cleaning floors on a regular basis.
- Store pet food in airtight containers that rats can’t get into.
How To Get Rid Of Rats Safely
Completely preventing rats can be exceptionally difficult, so if you do find yourself with a rat problem, the most effective way to remove them in a safe manner is with help from River City Termite & Pest Control. As a fully licensed company with over 20 years of experience in providing professional pest control to the Baton Rouge area, we have the skills and products needed to eliminate rat infestations for good. We pride ourselves on providing excellent customer services, so if you have any questions, give us a call at (225) 319-9650 to find out more or to schedule a free inspection.