How Do I Keep Sugar Ants Out of My Baton Rouge, LA Property?
October 15, 2021
If you have just recently moved to the south, there might be some things people say that are a bit confusing. Some phrases we are particularly fond of include “bless your heart,” “knee-high to a grasshopper,” and “might could.” We also have some unique phrases for pests. For instance, we refer to ants that invade homes as “sugar ants.” Today we will be talking about some common sugar ants that invade Baton Rouge properties and providing you with some helpful tips and tricks to keep these pests out of your living areas.
What Sugar Ants Live In Our Area
Baton Rouge is home to many ant species; many stay outdoors and rarely come into homes. The ones you should know about include carpenter ants, odorous house ants, and pavement ants. Here is how to identify each.
- A carpenter ant is black, red, or black and red, ⅝” long, and has a large head and mandibles. Colonies of these pests build their nests inside structures of water damaged, rotting, or decayed wood.
- An odorous house ant is brown or black, 1/16 to ⅛” long, and has an uneven abdomen. Colonies of these pests construct their nests underground around properties or indoors inside wall/ceiling voids.
- A pavement ant is dark brown to black and ⅛” long. Colonies of these pests construct nests around paved areas like driveways, sidewalks, and streets. They might also build near the foundation of a home or business.
How To Exclude Sugar Ants
Sugar ants break into homes in several different ways. To protect your home’s exterior from these invasive pests, here are some exclusion tips to try.
- Identify and fill holes, cracks, and gaps in your home’s exterior foundation and spacing around window/door frames.
- Make sure all of your exterior doors are equipped with door sweeps.
- Repair or replace weatherstripping around your home that is damaged or installed improperly.
- Address damage to your home’s window/door screens.
- When they are not in use, close exterior windows and doors around your home.
How To Deter Sugar Ants
Addressing entry points is not the only thing you should be doing to keep sugar ants out of your living areas. Another great strategy is to remove factors that might encourage these pests onto your property or into your home. To help you with this, here are eight more prevention tips and tricks to try:
- Wipe up drink spills as they occur and moisture that collects in bathtubs and sinks after using them.
- Wash out your pet’s food and water bowls after they finish a meal.
- Thoroughly clean your home at least once a week and address food messes as they occur.
- Limit the number of rooms you eat food in to just your dining room and your kitchen.
- After opening a box of dried food like cereal or rice, repackage it into a plastic, glass, or metal container.
- Invest in pest-proof racks for your pantry or food storage area.
- Keep your grass trimmed short and your lawn well maintained.
- Reduce the clutter in and around your home and keep things as tidy as possible.
The Best Answer To Sugar Ants Problems
Most people do not have the time, energy, or motivation to prevent sugar ants on their own. If you want a simpler and more effective solution to your home’s pest problems, contact the experts at River City Termite & Pest. We will send one of our highly trained technicians your way to inspect your home, identify pest pressures, and suggest home pest control treatment options to help you out.